Gathering Parent/Family Feedback on the Master High School Schedule
Thank you for taking some time to visit this blog and share your parent/family thoughts about the Thompson School District high school schedule and in the future, the revised graduation guidelines that will affect students in who are presently in middle school.
Who is working on the changes to the High School schedule?
Why change the high school schedule?
That main reason we are discussing a change to the current high school schedule is because Colorado developed some new state graduation requirements and we need to look at ways to prepare for these new state regulations that will affect the students who are now in middle school. Click here to learn more about the changes.
What is working and what isn’t working with the current schedule?
- we don’t have enough sections of the classes students want to take
- we have too many conflicts with classes and students have to choose between classes that are only offered once
- some students have to take study hall when they don’t want to because there isn’t any other class available, or
- students have to take other classes they don’t care about very much, or have an open block when they don’t really want one.
- parents are concerned about student who have too much unsupervised time during the day because of 90-long open blocks, especially when these blocks are next to lunch!
- Too many of our students start the year with one teacher in the fall and finish the year with a different teacher in the spring. Our new Colorado teacher evaluations make this really difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of teachers, so we need to figure out a way we can stop this. Changing the schedule can be a way we get some of these issues resolved.
Here are the questions we will ask in the survey…
- What is your opinion of the current 90 minute block schedule?
- What is your opinion of schedule that had 8 period (about 50 minutes long) 3 days a week, and 4 blocks (about 95 minutes) two days a week?
- What is your opinion of a schedule that compacts certain classes during the day (in an 8 period schedule) that really need more time?
- From your perspective, are classes that should be 90 minutes? Please provide a list.
- From your perspective, are there classes that could be offered in shorter periods of time? Give examples.
- What are your biggest concerns related to changing the schedule?
- What other thoughts about time use and scheduling do you have that you would like to share with us?